What To Do During Puppy Fear Period
But, more important, professional dog trainers can apply techniques for building confidence and counteracting the natural inclination to develop.
What to do during puppy fear period. If your puppy seems fearful of a new situation, forcing him into it is the worst thing to do. In nature, during this time, puppies are getting out of the den and starting to explore the world around them. Firstly, do not panic or react dramatically when a puppy exhibits fearful behavior.
For example, during the second fear period (four to six months), it is common for puppies to start barking at the trash can if it’s moved to a new place. Now, if forced to interact with something that makes them uncomfortable, an adolescent may try to avoid first, but quickly may try to use their mouth or body to express themselves. If a pup is scared to leave its crate, ignore her!
That will just make him more scared, and that is counterproductive. The puppy will interpret such responses as praise for being frightened. Herron, veterinarian and diplomate of the american college of veterinary behaviorists, ‘…fear period is therefore a stage during which the puppy or dog may be more apt to perceive certain stimuli threatening.
In short, this means that, if something deeply frightens your puppy during this time, they can develop a specific phobia of that object or situation in adulthood. End on a positive note with lots of treating/praising. Have visitors toss good treats toward your puppy without approaching him or her.
The first fear period, it is best to avoid traumatic experiences during this time such as shipping dogs on a plane and any other overwhelming experience. What does a puppy’s ‘fear period’ refer to? A fear period is therefore a stage during which the puppy or dog may be more apt to perceive certain stimuli.
Try not to make a big deal about the thing your dog is afraid of, but incorporate it into future training sessions. It is important to be upbeat and excited about new things and encourage your puppy to feel the same way. Do not overdose your puppy with scary loud noises and exposures during his fear periods.
- What Do Herbivorous Animals Eat
- What Animals Migrate South For The Winter
- White Cat With Blue Eyes Not Deaf
- White German Shepherd Puppies For Sale In Michigan
- What Animals Hibernate In Canada
- White Lab Puppies For Sale In Florida
- Where Can I Find Free Puppies Near Me
- White Lab Puppies For Sale In Maine
- Where To Get Puppy Shots For Cheap
- White Cats Name Male
- White German Shepherd Puppies Maine
- White Cats With Blue Eyes Breed
- White Lab Puppies For Sale In Georgia
- White Golden Retriever Puppies Northern California
- White German Shepherd Puppies For Sale Colorado
- Where To Buy Cats Pause Yearbook
- White Lab Puppies Colorado
- White German Shepherd Puppies Nc
- What Are Some Unique Animals In Australia
- White Golden Retriever Puppies Iowa